Air assaults are becoming more and more common since the update to big bombs which deal 1.5x damage to hog riders. Now, every upgraded big bomb pack will kill your hog rider pack, even if you are using healing spells. So now this is the era of mass Dragon or Balloon attacks. This also changes the use of the heroes, as the Barbarian King is not able to attack airborne troops. So now defending against aerial assault is more important than ever. If you want to win in clan wars, you must be able to defend against aerial attacks.
Offensive Aerial Troops
Three aerial units (Healers are supporting unit and not included)
- Minions: Basically flying Barbarians-take some damage and attack closest building
- Balloons: Airborne hogriders–fly over walls and attack defensive buildings, but are very slow moving.
- Dragons: They have lots of hit points and deal good damage, but they are slow and attack closest building.
The Inner Core
- contain your most important buildings (Storages/X-Bows if you do a more farming layout or Town Hall/X-Bows if you do more trophy hunting or a War Base) and your Clan Castle .
- Keep archers, wizards, or dragon in clan castle to destroy aerial units.
- You can also think about setting the Archer Queens platform in there but you will not need the Barbarian King. If you are lower than Town Hall 8 you will most likely not have more than two layers so just put them all inside.
The outside Web
- Goal: Wipe out Minions and lots of Balloons
- Air Mines
- Use in between Wizard towers to broaden coverage. One explosion can take out 10+ minions
- Air Mines
- Wizard Towers. The Wizard Towers themselves don’t make very much impact damage but they are very strong against groups of Minions or Balloons (last one especially because they are very slow). Your Wizard Towers should not be that much outside that Minions or Balloons can directly target them so just put some Mines/Collectors/Army Camps or anything like this in front of them – while the Minions attack them the Wizard Tower will attack them.
You set your enemy’s path
They will attack where your Air Defenses are, because if not they will just kill all units while they attack other buildings. This is very useful for you because now you know where he/she will start and also where the troops will go. You remember I compared the Balloons to the Hog Riders? They have the exactly same routing system so you should always try to have a defensive building in your outside layer more close to the next than to the inside layer. While they go round and round your inside Air Defense will deal with them very quickly.
The Dragons are more complicated because they make much more damage and also move faster than the Balloons. The only real fear they have is stepping into a Seeking Air Mine. Seeking Air Mines will NOT get triggered by Minions so don’t be afraid to put them near your outside Air Defenses so you can kill one Dragon right away. You know what does more damage than 9 dragons? 10 dragons. That’s right: try to get the kill the Dragons as fast as possible.
Avoid common mistake
Don’t put too much inside. Seeking Air Mines are expensive, but they are not triggered by Minions. Use these units to kill units that you definitely don’t want anywhere near your base–Dragons and also Healers.